Posted: Tuesday, 26 February 2019
Disinfection is critical in healthcare environments to prevent the spread of infection between patients and to ensure surfaces and equipment are clean and safe. Hospitals and other healthcare environments have worked hard to improve their practices over the years, with the aim of improving their nosocomial infection rates and helping to control the rise of drug-resistant bacteria.
To improve their disinfection practices, hospitals are beginning to explore UV systems as a way of lowering hospital-acquired infections (HAI) in their patients, making the environment safer and the disinfection process more effective. UV disinfection can be combined with traditional chemical cleaning processes to ensure a highly-effective cleaning regime and increased efficacy in infection control.
Microorganisms found in hospitals are inactivated when they are exposed to UV light. The light emitted by the UV lamps in the disinfection system breaks the DNA of microorganisms which prevents them from reproducing, so they are rendered harmless. The UV dose needed to achieve effective disinfection will vary depending on the application. Alpha-Purify’s low-pressure lamps emit radiation at the 254nm wavelength, which is able to deactivate microorganisms on surfaces, in air and in water making them ideal for disinfection applications.
The advantages of UV disinfection systems include:
- Minimal operational and maintenance costs.
- Effective on both vertical and horizontal surfaces.
- UV technology can disinfect surfaces and air quickly and efficiently.
- Effective and consistent disinfection. Each room will be disinfected to the same high standard.
- UV disinfection is dry and chemical-free.
- UV disinfection is effective on microbes that have developed a resistance to antibiotics.
- UV light will disinfect rooms without needing to seal doors or vents.
- Improving surface cleaning can reduce hospital-acquired infections.
- Very easy to use, so minimal staff training is required.
- The operator is able to choose the dose of UV light that is to be administered in each individual room depending on the level of cleaning needed.
Alpha-Purify works with companies who use UV systems in a wide range of applications to ensure safe, environmentally-friendly disinfection. UV disinfection is a safe and proven process that is trusted by industries around the world, including those using it for safe wastewater and drinking water treatment. As UV light disables a microorganism’s DNA rather than genetically changing them, they do not develop a resistance to the disinfection process which helps to prevent the rise of chlorine-resistant superbugs.
To find out more about how Alpha-Purify’s UV disinfection lamps can be used in healthcare disinfection or to have a chat about our UV systems then please Contact Us.